Services & Sectors
The Nextec Engineering team have experience undertaking Functional Safety Assessments, including Safety Integrity Level (SIL) determination through, SIL Workshops using Risk Graph and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) for Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic (E/E/PE) systems in line with IEC Standard 61508. Projects have included SIL determination for Crossrail, Riyadh Metro and a wide range of Oil and Gas projects.
A number of SIL verification and validation studies have been undertaken, including most recently on the Intelligent Infrastructure project.
System safety in railway projects is critical. We have solid and extensive experience of engineering safety management, in both metro and main line railway projects. This knowledge and expertise ensure we can fully address client and industry requirements across a number of disciplines, including signalling, power, track and stations, at system and sub-system level.
Nextec staff have been involved in engineering safety management, at both client and contractor level, in the UK and abroad, having worked on large multi-disciplinary railway projects including:
- Jubilee and Northern Line Upgrade Project.
- Four Lines Modernisation Project.
- Paddington to Reading Train Detection Conversion.
- Saudi Metro.
In addition, Nextec have worked with major rail clients including:
- Crossrail Ltd
- London Underground
- Planning ESM activities and writing safety assurance plans
- Hazard Identification workshop planning, managing, and reporting:
- System Hazard Analysis (SHA)
- Interface hazard Analysis (IHA)
- Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOPS)
- Operating and Support Hazard Analysis (OSHA)
- Hazard log/Record management,
- Identification of safety requirements,
- SIL determination,
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis/Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis
- Fault Tree Analysis in a railway environment
- Production of System level Safety Cases, Generic Application Safety Cases, Specific Application Safety Cases to relevant standards
Oil & Gas Capability
Nextec’s formal safety assessment capability in the oil and gas industry covers onshore, offshore and sub-sea process safety analysis through the project lifecycle from Concept Selection to Decommissioning.
Nextec’s capability includes supporting greenfield projects and providing multi-disciplinary support for brownfield engineering projects, including oil refinery, shipping and integrated drilling and productions platforms.
Nextec support services include
- Technical Safety & Risk Management
- RAM Analysis
Technical Safety & Risk Management scope of service includes
- Hazardous Area Classification
- Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Allocation and Verification
- HAZID, HAZOP & ALARP workshops
- Gas Dispersion, Explosion and Thermal Flume Studies (using CFD)
- Design Safety Case
- Health & Safety Risk Assessment
- BowTie Analysis
- Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA)
- Hazard Management
Reliability, Availability & Maintainability Analysis scope of service includes
- Reliability Planning
- RAM Analysis (using MAROS)
- RAM Modelling
- Reliability Growth Analysis
- Production Performance Analysis
- Development of Failure Data & Maintenance Strategies
Civil Nuclear Capability
Nextec’s safety assessment capability covers nuclear safety and engineering support with both Pressurised Water Reactors (PWR) and Advanced Gas Cooled Reactors (AGR) across the nuclear asset lifecycle.
We support clients with high quality technical and engineering support delivered by experienced consultants, tailored to meet the circumstances and needs of our clients.
Nextec Support Includes
- Hazard Identification
- Operational Support
- Risk Reduction and ALARP
- Safety Cases
- Independent Verification and Review
- FMEA/FMECA studies and workshops
- Hazard Register
- HAZOP/HAZID Studies and workshops
- Internal/External Hazards
- Environmental Hazards
- Equipment Reliability
- Reliability Centred Maintenance
- Obsolescence Management
- Project Management
- Maintenance, Inspection and Testing optimisation
- Surveillance testing optimisation